NAMI Family-to-Family is an educational course for family, caregivers and friends of individuals living with mental illness.
What You Should Expect
- Meets for 12 session, 2.5 hours each, free of cost.
- Designed for loved ones (over age 18) of individuals living with mental illness.
- Taught by trained family members of individuals living with mental illness.
- Provides critical information and strategies related to caregiving.
- Incorporates presentations, discussion and exercises.
- Designated an Evidence Based Practice in 2013 by SAMHSA.
Why You Should Attend
A toolkit of information
- Up-to-date information about a range of mental illnesses, including co-occurring mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
- Impact of mental illness on the brain.
- Current research on treatments including medication, side effects and evidence-based therapies.
- Training in preparedness and emotional resiliency
- Skills related to managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care including management of stress and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate local supports and services.
- A community
Perhaps most importantly, as a participant you can gain comfort in knowing you are not alone. Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all families and individuals dealing with a mental illness. The in-person group experience of NAMI Family-to-Family provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
What Others Have To Say About NAMI Family-to-Family
“Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter’s mental illness. By taking this course, I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed.”
“I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none.”
De Familia a Familia de NAMI
To Sign Up for NAMI Family to Family
Call NAMI Santa Clara County: (408) 453-0400 (Monday thru Friday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm) to sign up for this and other NAMI Education, Training and Peer Support programs.
For more information about NAMI Family to Family: Contact FTF Coodinator
De Familia a Familia de NAMI is also available at NAMI Santa Clara County.