The NAMI Santa Clara County office maintains a comprehensive collection of resource materials related to mental health, illness and recovery, that any member of the public can view, borrow or keep – free of charge!
NAMI Santa Clara County Office Community Resource Center
1150 South Bascom Ave, Suite 24 San Jose, CA 95128-3509
Hours: 10am to 2pm Monday thru Friday (same as NAMI office hours – See Closed Dates in the Events Calendar to the right of this page for holiday closures)
Phone: 1-408-453-0400 (choose Option 1 – Warmline Help Desk)
NAMI Santa Clara County maintains a lending library of over 250 titles in subjects related to mental illness, including Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Eating Disorders, Legal, Family Care, Teen and Adolescent, Recovery and Wellness, Mental Health General Information, Medicine and Treatment, and Other Disorders. The library also contains:
- Books in Spanish
- Mental illness magazines in English and Spanish
- DVDs (movies & documentaries)
- CDs (NAMI General Mtgs. and conferences)
- Videos on various mental health topics.
- Any individual is free to checkout up to 3 items from the library for up to one month.
- Before coming to the NAMI office, you can call to check that library items you desire are currently on the shelves, and request they be put on hold for you. Books will be held for up tp one week.
- Once at the NAMI office, you may browse, select your books and complete a check-out form (located on the library shelf). Directions for borrowing are displayed by the forms. The NAMI office Warmline staff will be happy to assist you in any way they can.
- You are responsible for returning library items in a timely manner, within 1 month of the check-out date
- NAMI accepts suggestions for books you would like to see added to the library
- Donations (monetary and/or slightly used books, DVDs etc. related to mental illness) are gladly accepted!
We also have the following reference materials that you may view during office hours:
- Informational Binders – Categories of information in these binders include: Job Opportunities, Consumer Resource Handbook, Insurance/Benefits, Housing/Homeless Resources, Legislative: Mental Health Issues
- Affiliate Newsletters Binder – NAMI Affiliates included are: NAMI Alameda County, NAMI East Bay, NAMI Contra Costa County, NAMI Marin County, NAMI Monterey County, NAMI San Gabriel County, NAMI San Mateo County, NAMI Sonoma County
The following excellent books are available at the NAMI office (1150 S. Bascom Ave, Suite 24, San Jose; open M-F, 10 am – 2 pm) for a $20 donation.
For a Consumer (someone with a mental health challenge):
- Surviving Schizophrenia by E. Fuller Torrey, MD 5th edition
- Getting Your Life back Together When You Have Schizophrenia by Roberta Temes, PhD
- The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide by David J. Miklowitz, PhD 2nd edition
For Family members and Friends:
- I am not Sick I Don’t Need Help! by Xavier Amador, PhD 10th edition (In English and Spanish) – Gives practical advice and hope to those of us who have someone battling mental illness.
- No Estoy Enfermo, no necesito ayuda! del Xavier Amador, PhD la primera edición – Nos da consejos prácticos y esperanza a aquellos de nosotros que tenemos a alguien luchando contra la enfermedad mental.
- When Someone You Love has a Mental Illness by Rebecca Woolis, MFT (In English and Spanish)
- Cuando un ser querido sufre una ENFERMEDADMENTAL del Rebecca Woolis, MFT
- The Family Guide to Mental Health Care by Lloyd I. Sederer, MD 1st edition
Brochures, Fact Sheets and Other Free Resources
NAMI Santa Clara County maintains a large and comprehensive collection of mental health related brochures, fact sheets and other community resource materials, available at our office for no charge. These include:
Valley Transit Information
Bus, Light Rail, Bart, Cal Train, ParaTransit Service information and schedules. These materials are available in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese.
Brochures and Fact Sheets
We have free brochures and handouts with information on crisis intervention, mental illness education and support, anti-stigma, recovery, healthy living, self-help centers, medication, research studies, Social security, General Assistance, Medi-cal, Santa Clara County agencies, programs and assistance, therapy and support facilities, suicide education and support. Categories of Brochures and Fact Sheets are:
- Mental Illnesses (including NAMI fact sheets)
- Child and Adolescent
- Older Adult
- Ethnic Communities: in Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, and other languages
- Community Resources and Events